Scott Darnell, who has served as Gov. Susana Martinez's director of communications since the beginning of her administration, has been promoted to deputy chief of staff.
Darnell, 28 replaces Ryan Cangiolosi, who last month resigned to take a job with The University of New Mexico's Health Sciences Center.
Before taking the spokesman's job with Martinez, Darnell had served as a spokesman for the state Republican Party.
He's a Farmington native who earned a degree in political science at The University of New Mexico in 2007. After his stint with the state GOP, he went to graduate school at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government. He graduated in 2010.
Enrique Knell, who has served as spokesman for the state Children, Youth & Families Department, will take Darnell's place as communications director in the Governor's Office.
Knell previously worked for Heather Wilson when the Republican served in Congress.
Darnell will be paid $95,000 a year, up from the $80,000 he now makes. Knell will make $80,000. He currently earns $75,000 a year.
The changes will take place Monday, Darnell said.
Darnell's wife, Alexis Valdez Darnell, also works for the Governor's Office. She is the operations director, making $75,000 a year.
Scott Darnell is the second new deputy chief of staff Martinez has named in recent weeks.
Jessica Hernandez, who worked as general counsel for the Governor's Office for nearly two years, was promoted to Deputy Chief of Staff to replace Brian Moore, who retired in June. Former legislator Moore, for his last year at the job, managed Martinez's Washington, D.C. office. That office shut down after Moore left.
Keith Gardner is Martinez's chief of staff.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Petit Retires 46 Batters in a Row, MLB Record
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers