MISSION, KS -- (Marketwire) -- 12/06/12 -- (Family Features) Whether it's cooking for the family or company, everyone needs a few new ideas to turn ordinary meals into something special. Thai-Style Curry Beef and Pasta -- chockfull of beef and fresh vegetables in a creamy coconut-curry sauce -- shows how a little creativity can go a long way.
Start with pasta that offers more than just great taste. While Dreamfields pasta is made from durum wheat semolina, which ensures the taste and texture of traditional pasta, it also has the added nutrition of five grams of fiber per one cup cooked serving and fewer digestible carbohydrates. It's a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional pasta that's perfect for the whole family.
While the pasta cooks, prep the top sirloin steak. This boneless, tender cut of beef is economical and works great in this recipe. Slice it thin and toss with garlic for an extra flavor punch. The beef is quickly stir-fried, and then the broccoli, bell peppers and onions hit the skillet.
Kick up the creativity by adding a blend of sweet and spicy flavors -- ginger, chili pepper, coconut milk and red curry paste -- to give this dish an Asian flair. (Tip: red curry paste can be found in the Asian section of the supermarket, or visit an Asian market which is likely to have more brand choices.)
To serve, the colorful, fragrant stir-fry is tossed with perfectly cooked, al dente Dreamfields Spaghetti. In less than 30 minutes you have an Asian-inspired one dish meal that transforms dinnertime from basic to extraordinary.
Visit www.DreamfieldsFoods.com for more recipes.
Thai-Style Curry Beef and PastaPreparation Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 15 minutes1 box Dreamfields Spaghetti1 pound boneless beef top sirloin steak, about 3/4 to 1 inch thick2 cloves garlic, minced2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil, divided3 cups broccoli florets1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch thick strips1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger1 serrano or other hot chili pepper, minced1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk1/4 cup red curry chili paste Finely chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pan.
2. Meanwhile, cut steak in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Toss with garlic; set aside.
3. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef and 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. Remove from skillet.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add broccoli, bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water; continue cooking and stirring 1 minute. Stir in ginger and chili pepper. Add combined coconut milk and curry paste to skillet. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Return beef to skillet; remove from heat.
5. Toss beef mixture with pasta. Garnish with peanuts, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutrition information (1/6 of recipe): 407 calories; 23 g protein; 13 g digestible carbohydrates*; 13 g total fat; 4 g saturated fat; 40 mg cholesterol; 483 mg sodium; 7 g total dietary fiber.
*If traditional pasta is used in this recipe there is a total of 53 g carbohydrate.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2173725
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine