If you thought the around-the-clock, midnight shopping madness was isolated to Black Friday, you would be wrong.
It's now creeping into December, too, in the home stretch leading up to Christmas.
Macy's announced Thursday that all of its stores will be open for 48 hours straight starting from 7 a.m. Friday, Dec. 21, through 7 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 23. Then the stores will close for an hour, and re-open for normal business hours.
The department store tested out these extended hours in select markets last year before rolling them out nationwide this year.
"We found our customers really appreciated it," said Lauren Rapisand, a Macy's spokeswoman. "They tend to be really busy at this time of year."
So the late-night and early-morning shopping hours were popular with some shoppers, she said.
Last year, a number of retailers held extended hours in the home stretch leading up to Christmas. Some Target stores stayed open until midnight, while Toys R Us stayed open for 112 consecutive hours leading up to Christmas Eve.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter
- Hollywood Bets Big Again on Summer Movies
- Nestle, Superior Grocers Promote Healthy Meals
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Bernanke Wishes He'd Explained the Crisis Better