If you thought the around-the-clock, midnight shopping madness was isolated to Black Friday, you would be wrong.
It's now creeping into December, too, in the home stretch leading up to Christmas.
Macy's announced Thursday that all of its stores will be open for 48 hours straight starting from 7 a.m. Friday, Dec. 21, through 7 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 23. Then the stores will close for an hour, and re-open for normal business hours.
The department store tested out these extended hours in select markets last year before rolling them out nationwide this year.
"We found our customers really appreciated it," said Lauren Rapisand, a Macy's spokeswoman. "They tend to be really busy at this time of year."
So the late-night and early-morning shopping hours were popular with some shoppers, she said.
Last year, a number of retailers held extended hours in the home stretch leading up to Christmas. Some Target stores stayed open until midnight, while Toys R Us stayed open for 112 consecutive hours leading up to Christmas Eve.
Most Popular Stories
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Samsung Launches Milk Music
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- BofA CEO Gets a 77 Percent Pay Bump
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum