National Geographic is currently the No. 1 media brand on Instagram, overtaking Teen Vogue over the weekend. It has 588,000 Instagram followers under the official NatGeo feed. National Geographic continues to dominate in the social media space with more than 12.2 million Facebook fans, more than 2.7 million Twitter followers and more than 920,000 YouTube subscribers. National Geographic is the No. 1 media brand on YouTube.
"National Geographic is a global brand that reaches more than 450 million people worldwide. National Geographic magazine, published in English and 37 local-language editions, is read by 60 million people around the globe each month," said Declan Moore, president of National Geographic Publishing and Digital Media. "On the eve of our 125(th) anniversary on Jan. 13, 2013, our brand continues to push the boundaries of storytelling, and we will engage with our customers on whatever new platform technology makes available. Photography is a huge component of the National Geographic brand legacy, and Instagram was a natural fit for photo distribution of our many contributing National Geographic photographers."
The National Geographic Society is one of the world's largest nonprofit scientific and educational organizations. Founded in 1888 to "increase and diffuse geographic knowledge," the Society's mission is to inspire people to care about the planet. It reaches more than 450 million people worldwide each month through its official journal, National Geographic, and other magazines; National Geographic Channel; television documentaries; music; radio; films; books; DVDs; maps; exhibitions; live events; school publishing programs; interactive media; and merchandise. National Geographic has funded more than 10,000 scientific research, conservation and exploration projects and supports an education program promoting geographic literacy. For more information, visit www.nationalgeographic.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'