House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, sent a message to party conservatives when he booted headstrong Republicans from high-power committees, aides said.
"You want good things in Congress and to have a good career? Better play along nicely," one Republican aide said when characterizing the message behind the committee assignments.
Gone from the Financial Services Committee are David Schweikert of Arizona and Walter B. Jones of North Carolina, Roll Call reported Tuesday. Justin Amash of Michigan and Tim Huelskamp of Kansas were removed from the Budget Committee. Huelskamp won't be on the Agriculture Committee's roster, either.
"The GOP leadership might think they have silenced conservatives, but removing me and others from key committees only confirms our conservative convictions," Huelskamp said in a statement. "This is clearly a vindictive move, and a sure sign that the GOP establishment cannot handle disagreement."
The Republican Steering Committee made the decisions Monday after reviewing documentation listing how often each Republican lawmaker voted with leadership, three sources told Roll Call.
Reaction was swift from conservative quarters, Roll Call said, which said the representatives, save Jones, were defiant conservatives.
"Congressmen Schweikert, Huelskamp, and Amash are now free of the last remnants of establishment leverage against them," Club for Growth President Chris Chocola said. "The dirty little secret in Congress is that while refusing to kowtow to the wishes of party leaders can sometimes cost you some perks in Washington, the taxpayers back home are grateful."
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point