Suspected smugglers rammed a small U.S. Coast Guard boat off the coast of California Sunday, killing one of two crew members on board, authorities said.
The dead crew member was identified as Executive Petty Officer Terrell Horne, age unavailable, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The deadly incident occurred near Santa Cruz Island while Horne and the other Guard member were investigating an open-hulled boat operating suspiciously without lights, the newspaper said.
The suspect boat rammed the Coast Guard boat and knocked the two occupants into the water. Horne suffered a deadly head injury, while the other Guard member had minor injuries.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our shipmate," said Adm. Robert J. Papp, the Coast Guard commandant.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs