ARCADIA, WI -- (Marketwire) -- 12/03/12 -- With formal sit-down dinners giving way to more casual styles of dining, holiday buffets are becoming more and more popular, especially if you're playing host to a large group of family and friends.
"For many busy families, gone are the days of formal sit-down gatherings at the dining room table," says Brenda Dillon, VP of Merchandising. "During the holidays, people often drop in anywhere from late afternoon to late in the evening -- making buffet-style parties the perfect choice. And with the right space and a little planning, it's easy to bring everyone together."
In order to pull off a successfully holiday buffet, it's important to keep your guests' comfort in mind. Here are 10 savvy food-serving ideas that'll make your holiday party go off without a hitch:
1. Avoid placing food in a single line if serving a large crowd. Instead, repeat the same food on both sides the dining room table.
2. Keep drinks in a separate area. A cart, table, server or sideboard helps avoid congestion.
3. Serve drinks ahead of time. It makes moving through the holiday buffet line easier and faster. Appointing or hiring someone to serve drinks makes guests feel extra special.
4. Use large, sturdy plates and oversized napkins. Avoid flimsy paper plates and choose napkins large enough to cover the lap.
5. Know where to put everything. Place clean plates and cold items at the beginning of the buffet, silverware at the end.
6. Avoid serving food that requires a knife. Your guests will appreciate not having to cut food on their lap!
7. Roll a napkin around a fork and spoon. Utensils that are rolled in a napkin are easier to carry. Secure it with a holiday ribbon and place endwise into a glass, mug or pencil cup for easy pickup.
8. Place a toothpick in items that are tough to grab. Be sure to pre-cut pieces off cheese blocks and break grapes into small clusters.
9. Label food that isn't recognizable, or that may cause allergies. Or label everything restaurant-style with a folding card or flag.
10. Consider serving desert and coffee on a tray or rolling cart. This lets guests stay seated and relaxed.
For more tips or to browse the hottest new design trends, furniture collections and accessories, visit AshleyFurnitureHomeStore.com.
About Ashley Furniture HomeStore
Ashley Furniture HomeStore, the #1 furniture retailer in the United States, delivers quality, affordable furniture to customers at over 450 independently owned and operated locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Japan. Ashley Furniture HomeStore is an exclusive provider of furniture from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., the largest furniture manufacturer in the United States.
Like AFHS on Facebook
Follow AFHS on Twitter
Follow the AFHS design-focused boards on Pinterest
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2169102
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Ashley Furniture HomeStore
E-mail: Email Contact
Phone: (608) 323-3377
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset