WellPoint Inc. has completed its $4.9 billion acquisition of Virginia Beach-based Amerigroup Corp., the companies said in SEC filings. The deal closed Monday after clearing all state and federal regulatory hurdles.
Amerigroup stockholders approved the $92-a-share buyout in October. To avoid potential antitrust concerns, Amerigroup sold its Virginia HMO to Inova Health System.
Amerigroup manages health care for people insured through government programs, serving more than 2.7 million people in 12 states. Indianapolis-based WellPoint said Amerigroup will continue to operate as an independent subsidiary. Amerigroup employs about 2,300 people in Hampton Roads.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women