WellPoint Inc. has completed its $4.9 billion acquisition of Virginia Beach-based Amerigroup Corp., the companies said in SEC filings. The deal closed Monday after clearing all state and federal regulatory hurdles.
Amerigroup stockholders approved the $92-a-share buyout in October. To avoid potential antitrust concerns, Amerigroup sold its Virginia HMO to Inova Health System.
Amerigroup manages health care for people insured through government programs, serving more than 2.7 million people in 12 states. Indianapolis-based WellPoint said Amerigroup will continue to operate as an independent subsidiary. Amerigroup employs about 2,300 people in Hampton Roads.
Most Popular Stories
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- Emmys: 'Orange' Marks Break From Sitcoms
- Repubs to Sue Obama for Delaying Obamacare
- Thousands of Children Dragged Into U.S. Political Bickering
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer: Care Needed to Avoid Crisis
- Collegefeed Connects Grads and Jobs
- Dems Float Long-Shot Effort to Curb Campaign Cash
- Union Pulls Support of UNCF Over Koch Gift
- Portugal Bank Fears Spark Selloff
- Border Crisis Could Lead to Faster Deportations