WellPoint Inc. has completed its $4.9 billion acquisition of Virginia Beach-based Amerigroup Corp., the companies said in SEC filings. The deal closed Monday after clearing all state and federal regulatory hurdles.
Amerigroup stockholders approved the $92-a-share buyout in October. To avoid potential antitrust concerns, Amerigroup sold its Virginia HMO to Inova Health System.
Amerigroup manages health care for people insured through government programs, serving more than 2.7 million people in 12 states. Indianapolis-based WellPoint said Amerigroup will continue to operate as an independent subsidiary. Amerigroup employs about 2,300 people in Hampton Roads.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting