WellPoint Inc. has completed its $4.9 billion acquisition of Virginia Beach-based Amerigroup Corp., the companies said in SEC filings. The deal closed Monday after clearing all state and federal regulatory hurdles.
Amerigroup stockholders approved the $92-a-share buyout in October. To avoid potential antitrust concerns, Amerigroup sold its Virginia HMO to Inova Health System.
Amerigroup manages health care for people insured through government programs, serving more than 2.7 million people in 12 states. Indianapolis-based WellPoint said Amerigroup will continue to operate as an independent subsidiary. Amerigroup employs about 2,300 people in Hampton Roads.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record of -135.8
- Obama Delivers Speech at Mandela Memorial: Transcript
- Uruguay Gets Ready for Legal Marijuana
- Oldaker Takes Center Stage at Entrepreneur Awards
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?