Upwards of 3,500 taxpayers might have been double-billed by Jackson County for personal property taxes they owe on cars, trucks, boats and other personal property in 2012, county officials said Thursday.
County officials stress that the number could be far fewer. But as a precaution, letters were being sent out this week to anyone who might have been affected by the error, with instructions on how to contact the assessment department to have bills corrected, said county spokesman Dan Ferguson
The deadline for paying personal property taxes is Monday. However, taxpayers face no penalty for late payments if their bill is in error, Ferguson said.
Those who suspect they've already overpaid should contact the assessor's office at 816-881-1487 or 816-881-6653 to arrange for a refund.
County officials have not determined what led to the glitch that came to light recently when taxpayers complained that the same vehicles were listed twice on their tax bills.
Until this week, they were unsure how many people might have been affected.
An internal audit identified potential problems in just over 1 percent of the 295,000 personal property accounts, Ferguson said.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column