Russia is raising the price of vodka by about one
third to at least 170 rubles (about 4.20 euros) for a half-litre
bottle, Interfax news agency said Wednesday.
The price hike is due to sharply higher taxes for hard alcoholic drinks, said Interfax, citing government officials. Prices for spirits such as brandy and cognac will also rise.
Alcoholism is a major health hazard in Russia, killing hundreds of thousands of people per year.
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Calif. Likes Christie, Says Tea Party's a Drag
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today