Russia is raising the price of vodka by about one
third to at least 170 rubles (about 4.20 euros) for a half-litre
bottle, Interfax news agency said Wednesday.
The price hike is due to sharply higher taxes for hard alcoholic drinks, said Interfax, citing government officials. Prices for spirits such as brandy and cognac will also rise.
Alcoholism is a major health hazard in Russia, killing hundreds of thousands of people per year.
Most Popular Stories
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- 'No Good Deed' Defeats 'Guardians' at Theaters
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board