Gov. Andrew Cuomo activated the State Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at 6 p.m. Wednesday to monitor and deal with the winter storm that was to hit most of New York state.
A news release from the governor's office said representatives from state agencies will coordinate storm-response efforts, including the State Police, Department of Transportation, Thruway Authority, Office of Fire Prevention and Control, Division of Military and Naval Affairs, Department of Environmental Conservation, and the Department of Health.
The winter storm was forecast to moderate to heavy snow and some ice to parts of the state. The release said New Yorkers should monitor weather conditions, stay tuned to local radio and television stations or to NOAA weather radio for the latest information, plan their activities accordingly, and be particularly cautious while driving.
"Winter weather has arrived for many parts of the state, so as a precaution we have opened the emergency operation center to coordinate response efforts using all state and local resources," Cuomo said. "I also urge New Yorkers to closely watch local news reports for weather updates and adjust their travel plans accordingly. All non-essential travel should be avoided during and directly after the storm since roads will be icy with blizzard conditions in some places."
Secretary to the Governor Larry Schwartz sent a letter Wednesday to the CEOs of the utilities that operate in New York state, saying that they will be held accountable for their performance during and after this storm if they do not meet their obligations to New Yorkers.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party