Belle Isle will be the site of the recently announced Metallica-led music festival that's coming to Detroit this summer -- and perhaps in 2014 and '15, as well.
According to a Detroit City Council agenda, the landmark has been approved as the site of the Orion Music Plus More Festival, which will be held in the Motor City on June 8 and 9. It's a weekend-long event held by the innovative king of heavy metal groups.
Metallica debuted the festival last June in Atlantic City. A reported 25,000 fans or more turned out for two nights of Metallica concerts, performances by several other name acts, plus related events including a car show, film screenings and a display of horror memorabilia from Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett.
When Detroit was announced Friday as the home of the 2013 Orion fest, no information was provided for the specific location. But the agenda for the Detroit City Council's Jan. 8 meeting includes a line item for a finance department/purchasing division contract that gives Belle Isle as the location for the Orion Music Plus More Festival through 2015.
It also states that the contract was approved through the recess procedure for the week of Dec. 10.
There has been increased buzz about Belle Isle's potential as a major concert venue. But a music event this size would seem unprecedented.
Back in 2001, Radiohead had considered out-of-the-ordinary spots to perform, including Belle Isle, but the plans never came to fruition. Mitch Ryder, the B-52s and Ronnie Dunn all performed this summer as part of the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix.
The festival's name, Orion, is also the title of an instrumental track on Metallica's 1986 album "Master of Puppets."
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad