The Barstow Police and Fire departments unveiled their tips for a safe holiday season at the most recent City Council meeting.
-- Avoid displaying gifts where they can be seen from a window or doorway.
-- Don't leave ordered packages on porches or doorsteps. Instead, arrange to have packages delivered to your neighbor's house or to your local post office for pick-up.
-- Always lock your home doors and windows, even if you're only going to be gone for a few minutes.
-- When going out of town, have a trusted friend or neighbor take care of your home.
-- For extended absences, contact the Police Department and request a vacation watch for your residence.
-- Shop with a partner.
-- Park in a well lit area and as close as possible to the store.
-- Always lock your car and close the windows.
-- Lock all of your packages in the trunk of your vehicle or cover them inside your vehicle.
-- Have keys in hand when returning to vehicle.
-- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
-- Stay alert to your surroundings.
-- Report suspicious people.
For Christmas trees:
-- For natural trees, keep them watered. Dry trees can catch fire.
-- Do not place tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent.
-- Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove.
-- Dispose of tree by taking it to a recycling center or having it hauled away by a community pick-up service.
For holiday lights:
-- Inspect lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets and excessive kinking or wear.
-- Do not overload electrical outlets.
-- Do not leave holiday lights on unattended.
For holiday decorations:
-- Use only nonflammable decorations.
-- Don't block exits.
-- Never put wrapping paper in the fireplace.
-- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
-- Make sure candles are in stable holders and place them where they can't be easily knocked down.
-- Never put lit candles on a tree.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women