Experts in South Korea on Sunday said the country's
communist northern neighbor had used a rocket system in its recent
rocket launch that could in theory transport a nuclear warhead to the United States mainland.
Analysis of debris retrieved from the rocket's first stage in the Yellow Sea showed it could carry a warhead of 500 to 600 kilograms over a distance of more than 10,000 kilometres, one Defense Ministry official said in Seoul. That would be within reach of the US West Coast.
On December 12, North Korea launched its Unha-3 rocket, putting a satellite in orbit, as part of what it says is a peaceful space programme.
The UN Security Council strongly condemned the launch, saying it intends to adopt "appropriate measures" if Pyongyang continues with more launches using prohibited ballistic missiles technology.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes