Olivia Culpo, the current Miss USA titleholder, was declared Miss Universe in Las Vegas Wednesday night.
Miss Philippines, Janine Tugonon, was the pageant's runner-up, while Miss Venezuela, Irene Sofia Esser Quintero, came in third.
Culpo, 20, is from Rhode Island. She is the first American to win the Miss Universe crown since Brook Lee in 1997.
This year's 2-hour pageant aired on NBC, with Andy Cohen and Giuliana Rancic serving as co-hosts.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Law Lets Users Unlock Cellphones
- Motorists Get Rare Summer Break on Gas Prices
- Body Parts Retrieved at MH17 Crash Site
- Obama Vows to Veto House Immigration Bill
- Government Meets Goal for Small-business Contracts
- Reno Gigafactory No Cinch to Land Tesla Plant
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High