What's the best way to find out information about that product on the shelf that you're eyeing for a holiday gift -- look it up on your cellphone or ask a sales associate?
Use technology, retail managers say. Almost two-thirds of retail managers who participated in a recent holiday shopping survey say shoppers are more connected to product information than retail workers. Technology continues to change the traditional shopping experience, and retail managers and shoppers say more technology on store floors would lead to more sales, according to the study by Motorola Solutions Inc.
The survey found that 64 percent of Generation Y shoppers and 52 percent of Gen X shoppers used their mobile devices for shopping-related activities, compared to only 37 percent of baby boomers. Additionally, many of those younger shoppers said they can more readily find out information about products with their mobile devices than if they ask a sales associate for help. Baby boomers, meanwhile, said they were four times more likely to spend more money in a store if they receive assistance from a helpful employee, rather than by using technology on their own.
Similarly, almost 60 percent of store employees surveyed said they could do a better job of helping shoppers if they were able to use tablets.
"When shoppers have so many options, it is clear that retailers who embrace technology to enable their store associates to directly engage shoppers are creating differentiation through customer service," said Eduardo Conrado, Motorola Solutions' chief marketing officer.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?