Newtown, Conn., continued to bury its dead Wednesday with funerals for a teacher who tried to shield students and for three children.
Victoria "Vicki" Soto, 27, a first-grade teacher at the Sandy Hook Elementary School received a police honor guard at her funeral in Stratford, Conn., CNN reported. Chairs were set up outside the Lordship Community Church to handle the overflow crowd.
Soto's cousin, James Wiltsie said she "instinctively went into action when a monster came into her classroom and tried to protect the kids that she loved so much."
"We just want the public to know that Vicki was a hero," he said.
In Newtown, three children, Daniel Barden, 7, Caroline Previdi, 6, and Charlotte Bacon, 6, were also to be buried Wednesday. A single gunman, Adam Lanza, 20, who had already killed his mother, cut down 20 children and six adults at the school Friday before taking his own life.
The 911 tapes, posted on YouTube by a police scanner buff, show responders believed at first there were two shooters in the building. NBC reported the tapes have been authenticated by police.
The first call reports "somebody shooting in the building" followed two minutes later by a call that the gunfire has continued. An early report says a teacher saw "two shooters running past the gym."
The tapes also show a growing realization of the extent of the massacre. The first casualty report is of someone shot in the foot, and a call 3 minutes earlier requests two ambulances.
By around 10 a.m., less than half an hour after Lanza entered the building, dispatchers were calling frantically for "buses," ambulances.
"You might want to see if the surrounding towns can send EMS personnel. We're running out real quick," a dispatcher said soon after, followed quickly by someone urging, "Call for everything."
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids