Stevie, which has developed a service that combines social media feeds into a TV experience, announced today that it has closed a $1.5 million Series A funding round from Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing's Horizons Ventures. This brings the total raised by the company to date to $2.1 million. The startup also announced the launch of the Stevie iPhone app, joining the currently available iPad, Web and Windows 8 versions.
Stevie said that the funding will be used to further develop Stevie's broadcast experience and content delivery technologies. Stevie will bring the viewer's social content to multiple screens, including Xbox, Android and connected TVs. The company said that it has developed the only platform that successfully merges the lean back TV experience with preferences and highly engaging content from social networks.
Based in Tel Aviv, Stevie was founded by CEO Yael Givon and chief creative technologist Gil Rimon. Givon said, "Since our launch at TechCrunch Disrupt NYC 2012, we have been continuously working on bridging the gap we see between social content and the broadcast experience. We are excited to use this additional funding to make Stevie the definitive social, personal TV experience."
The iPhone version includes all of Stevie's channels such as: Fresh Picks, featuring all the latest content from friends; The Comedy Strip; Music Non Stop; and Celeb TV. Stevie is available for the iPad, Windows 8, and as a web app.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays