OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 12/19/12 -- The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, condemns the cowardly and senseless acts of violence against polio vaccination workers in Pakistan earlier this week.
Canada supports polio vaccination and is working with the global community to meet the eradication of the disease. Polio is a highly infectious virus and remains endemic in only three countries: Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan.
"I welcome the Government of Pakistan's denouncement of these attacks and urge Pakistani authorities to seek out those responsible and immediately bring them to justice," said Minister Fantino. "I extend my thoughts and prayers to the families of those killed."
The Honourable Julian Fantino
Minister of International Cooperation
Daniel Bezalel Richardsen
Press Secretary to the Minister of International Cooperation
Media Relations Office
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
Follow us on Twitter: @CIDA_CA
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June