In addition to losing his job after a five-turnover performance against the Tennessee Titans on Monday, Mark Sanchez received death threats on Twitter.
One of the senders, however, said Tuesday that he wasn't serious about his vow to kill the New York Jets quarterback at practice.
A Jets fan with the Twitter handle @BraveGrancru wrote in direct messages to USA TODAY Sports that he was upset about Sanchez's performance and was surprised at the attention his tweets received when they were picked up by blogs.
"DON'T COME TO PRACTICE WEDNESDAY I PROMISE YOU BULLETS EVERYWHERE " he tweeted and included Sanchez's Twitter handle in the tweet.
"SANCHEZ BETTER HAVE ARMED SECURITY WEDNESDAY AT PRACTICE!! YOU THINK IMMA SIT HERE & WATCH THIS (expletive)?? TUHHH"
The fan also suggested he couldn't engage in intimate acts with his girlfriend because he was too upset by Sanchez's performance in a 14-10 loss that ended the team's playoff hopes.
However, the fan changed his tune Tuesday when contacted by USA TODAY Sports.
"I do not want to harm Sanchez or intend to," he wrote. "I'm just a Die hard Jets fan that was mad & got carried away."
The fan said he would delete the tweets.
An NFL spokesman said league security was aware of the situation and followed up with the Jets, but he declined to specify what procedures that entailed.
The fan, who broke off the lines of communication after three direct messages, said he was not contacted by the league or the Jets.
Sanchez was benched Tuesday by coach Rex Ryan, who snubbed Tim Tebow and announced that third-stringer Greg McElroy would start Sunday vs. the San Diego Chargers.
Most Popular Stories
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- 'Boats 'N Hoes' PAC Sunk by Complaint
- Natural Gas Shoots Up on Bullish Stockpile Report
- 8 Million Signups Put Obamacare Ahead of Predictions
- Judge Tells Dad to Quit Emailing His Kids in All Caps
- Naya Rivera and Lea Michele: The 'Glee' Fight That Never Was?