In addition to losing his job after a five-turnover performance against the Tennessee Titans on Monday, Mark Sanchez received death threats on Twitter.
One of the senders, however, said Tuesday that he wasn't serious about his vow to kill the New York Jets quarterback at practice.
A Jets fan with the Twitter handle @BraveGrancru wrote in direct messages to USA TODAY Sports that he was upset about Sanchez's performance and was surprised at the attention his tweets received when they were picked up by blogs.
"DON'T COME TO PRACTICE WEDNESDAY I PROMISE YOU BULLETS EVERYWHERE " he tweeted and included Sanchez's Twitter handle in the tweet.
"SANCHEZ BETTER HAVE ARMED SECURITY WEDNESDAY AT PRACTICE!! YOU THINK IMMA SIT HERE & WATCH THIS (expletive)?? TUHHH"
The fan also suggested he couldn't engage in intimate acts with his girlfriend because he was too upset by Sanchez's performance in a 14-10 loss that ended the team's playoff hopes.
However, the fan changed his tune Tuesday when contacted by USA TODAY Sports.
"I do not want to harm Sanchez or intend to," he wrote. "I'm just a Die hard Jets fan that was mad & got carried away."
The fan said he would delete the tweets.
An NFL spokesman said league security was aware of the situation and followed up with the Jets, but he declined to specify what procedures that entailed.
The fan, who broke off the lines of communication after three direct messages, said he was not contacted by the league or the Jets.
Sanchez was benched Tuesday by coach Rex Ryan, who snubbed Tim Tebow and announced that third-stringer Greg McElroy would start Sunday vs. the San Diego Chargers.
Most Popular Stories
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Intruder Gets into White House
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut