TED NUGENT: Discovery Channel says it has not renewed "American Guns," won't air reruns from its past two seasons and will no longer feature gun advocate Ted Nugent.
"American Guns" wrapped its second season Sept. 5. The ratings hit reality show is about a family who runs a successful gun shop in Colorado.
"'American Guns' concluded earlier this year," the network said in a statement. "Discovery Channel chose not to renew the series and has no plans to air repeats of the show."
E! News said the network did not say whether the decision to cancel the show was directly connected to last week's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The Raw Story website reported Tuesday a Discovery Channel representative confirmed Nugent will not be featured in future programs. The representative, who did not want to go on record, said the heavy metal guitarist's show -- "Ted Nugent's Gun Country" -- attracted only about 864,000 viewers when it was televised in October.
Nugent had told listeners of Armed American Radio -- which bills itself as the official radio program of The United States Concealed Carry Association -- to "expect that there will be at least a dozen shows a year."
The Discovery Channel representative told The Raw Story no plan had been in the works to turn Nugent's show into a series.
Nugent's publicist did not respond to a request for comment, The Raw Story said.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women