Pope Benedict XVI has more than 2 million followers on Twitter, just five days after he started his account, the Vatican's radio station reported Monday.
The pope tweets in eight languages, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.
''The desire of the Holy Father was to be there where men live and to be near them with words of truth, while adapting to Twitter's language style and 140 character length,'' said Claudio Maria Celli, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, Monday. ''I believe the Pope wants to be close to the women and men of today, with that language that today's women and men use."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?