Pope Benedict XVI has more than 2 million followers on Twitter, just five days after he started his account, the Vatican's radio station reported Monday.
The pope tweets in eight languages, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.
''The desire of the Holy Father was to be there where men live and to be near them with words of truth, while adapting to Twitter's language style and 140 character length,'' said Claudio Maria Celli, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, Monday. ''I believe the Pope wants to be close to the women and men of today, with that language that today's women and men use."
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms