Pope Benedict XVI has more than 2 million followers on Twitter, just five days after he started his account, the Vatican's radio station reported Monday.
The pope tweets in eight languages, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.
''The desire of the Holy Father was to be there where men live and to be near them with words of truth, while adapting to Twitter's language style and 140 character length,'' said Claudio Maria Celli, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, Monday. ''I believe the Pope wants to be close to the women and men of today, with that language that today's women and men use."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women