Pope Benedict XVI has more than 2 million followers on Twitter, just five days after he started his account, the Vatican's radio station reported Monday.
The pope tweets in eight languages, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.
''The desire of the Holy Father was to be there where men live and to be near them with words of truth, while adapting to Twitter's language style and 140 character length,'' said Claudio Maria Celli, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, Monday. ''I believe the Pope wants to be close to the women and men of today, with that language that today's women and men use."
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts