Schools in Newtown, Connecticut, reopened Tuesday with the exception of Sandy Hook Elementary School, scene of last week's slaughter of six-and-seven-year-olds.
It was the second day for funerals, with services for James Mattioli and Jessica Rekos, both six years old, taking place successively at the Saint Rose of Lima church outside the small New England town. Two little boys were buried Monday.
Counseling services were being offered to the community, according to the website of the Newtown Public School District, after the murder of 20 children and 6 adults at the school by an apparently deranged gunman on Friday.
"We are grateful for all the prayers, thoughts and outpouring of support offered to our community during this difficult time," the school district said.
Following an executive order from Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy, students from Sandy Hook Elementary will be housed at an empty school building in the nearby town of Monroe when they return to school, the Newtown Bee community newspaper reported.
"This facility, which is currently not being used, is in excellent condition and will accommodate all of the Sandy Hill School students and staff," Superintendent Janet Robinson said. "We want to thank Monroe for helping us in this hour of need, not only by loaning this facility but also helping us prepare the building."
The date when Sandy Hook students can return to school is yet to be announced.
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets