German Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke of her
sadness Saturday at the killing of 20 children at an elementary
school in Newtown, Connecticut and sent condolences to the families.
"The news from Newtown makes me deeply sad. We are confronted once again with a crime that we cannot make sense of," she said. "The thought of the murdered pupils and teachers makes my heart heavy."
"My deep sympathy goes out to the relatives. I wish them strength and care. I hope they do not remain alone in their pain."
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer