At least one gunman opened fire in an elementary school in Newton, Conn., Friday, killing up to 27 people, many of them children, police said.
"I saw some of the bullets going past the hall ... then the teacher pulled me into her classroom. ... it sounded like someone was kicking the door," one child told reporters.
The gunman's body was reportedly found at the scene.
Three wounded victims were were treated at a nearby hospital.
CBS reported the preliminary investigation indicated 27 people were killed, including at least a dozen pupils, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Investigators said the shooting followed a confrontation between a young man and a school administrator about 9:40 a.m., CBS said.
Police had yet to determine whether the gunman acted alone.
Officers and teachers led children, many of them crying, to a staging area where parents could pick them up, the Hartford Courant reported.
NBC reported at least three ambulances were on school grounds about 45 miles southwest of Hartford and 80 miles northeast of New York City.
Most Popular Stories
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Joshua Radin loves to sing about love