LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 12/14/12 -- The Balearic Islands could just be the best winter-sun destination this Christmas, says Ritmo Cars. The car hire company specialises in car hire in the Balearic Islands and it says bookings to the region are up by 5% in 2012 compared to 2011 as tourists flock to the warm waters, picture-postcard beaches and sunshine filled skies.
Although Christmas songs all rejoice at a white Christmas, many Brits prefer to escape the chilly weather and head to warmer climes. However, with financial cutbacks and pay freezes, tropical escapes to Asia, Africa and the Caribbean are now out of the question. The Balearics, although not quite as hot, provide an idea and affordable substitute.
Whereas flights to Thailand are well over GBP 400 over Christmas, flights to the Balearics are under GBP 100 per person. Additionally, hotel rates drop during low season in Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza and car hire in Mallorca with Ritmo Cars also decreases during the winter.
However, it's not just cost factors that make the Balearic Islands so appealing. The average high in Mallorca in December is around 17 degrees Celsius and there are 154 hours of sunshine and just 6 days of rain. In contrast, in the UK the average high is about seven degrees Celsius, there are 44 hours of sunshine and 13 days of rain/snow.
People needn't worry about a lack of Christmas cheer. Christmas is a big celebration in the Balearics, as it is throughout Spain. For example, there is a Christmas market in Ibiza Town on 16 December, which will be stocked with Christmas goodies and Ibiza Town is going to be decked out in decorations with cafes serving traditional Spanish Christmas treats. In Palma de Mallorca there will be a giant Christmas tree and ice rink and in Menorca there will be Christmas parades, carol singing and street parties. Christmas is full of cheer in the Balearics, in fact perhaps even more so than in the UK because there is no gloomy weather to bring anyone down.
+34 (626) 73 28 41
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women