A poll indicates ex-Florida Gov. Charlie Christ, now a Democrat, leads the party in a potential 2014 run for governor. Republicans say he's a flip-flopper.
Crist announced Dec. 7 he was leaving the GOP to become a Democrat.
While filing his Democratic registration papers Thursday, he said officials in the Obama administration encouraged him to run in 2014, The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union reported.
He also said he rues signing a 2006 petition to include a ban on same-sex marriage in Florida's constitution.
Shortly after Florida news media posted his comments, the state GOP issued a release that included links to news articles and television appearances in which Crist said he opposed legalizing same-sex marriage.
"Once again, Charlie Crist is showing he has two faces on any issue. When Charlie Crist wanted Republican [and Independent!] support, he took a strong, pro-family stance against legalizing gay marriage. But today, he flipped yet again," the Republican Party of Florida's release said.
The GOP release came on the same day a firm headed by former Florida Democratic Party Executive Director Screven Watson conducted a poll for an unnamed client, the Times-Union said. The poll of 1,000 Democrats indicated Crist had a huge lead over other Democrats, including a 25 percentage advantage over Alex Sink, the party's 2010 gubernatorial nominee.
"These are not independents, these are not general election Democrats, these are primary Democrats. That's his first hurdle," Watson said.
The poll was conducted Dec. 4-9, and has a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.
Most Popular Stories
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Joshua Radin loves to sing about love