The fatal shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, on Friday was the latest bloody rampage in a long list of shootings in public places in the U.S.
The school shooting came just two days after three people died in a shooting spree in a mall in Oregon state. The shooter took his own life after slaying two people in a crowded food court in what police said was a random act of violence.
Here is a list of some of the most recent shooting sprees in public places this year.
- October 22: Three die and four are injured in a shooting at a day spa in Brookfield, near Milwaukee. The shooter also plants a bomb.
- August 31: A grocery store employee in Old Bridge, New Jersey, kills himself and two co-workers when he returns to his job, armed, after the end of his shift.
- August 14: A gunman kills himself, a police officer and another man after a shootout in front of his house near the campus of Texas A&M University. Three other people are wounded when the man starts shooting after receiving an eviction notice.
- August 5: Seven, including the gunman, die in a Sikh temple outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The gunman, who was shot by police at the scene, is eventually identified as a former soldier with ties to the far-right scene.
- July 20: James Holmes kills 12 people during a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in the Denver, Colorado suburb of Aurora, police say. The former college students allegedly burst into the theatre dressed as the comic book villain the Joker and began shooting; 58 are injured.
The following is a list of shootings that occurred in the United States between 1999 and 2011 in which more than five people were killed:
- August 8, 2011: Seven die in Copely Township, Ohio, after a man begins shooting following a family dispute.
- November 5, 2009: US Army Major Nadal Hassan, who is later found to have links to radical Islam, allegedly kills 13 and wounds dozens more during a rampage at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas, according to military investigators.
- April 3, 2009: Jiverly Wong, a Vietnamese immigrant, begins shooting at an immigration centre in Binghamton, New Jersey, killing 13 before shooting himself in the head.
- March 10, 2009: Sausage plant worker Michael McLendon kills 10, including some family members, in a shooting spree that takes him through three small towns in Alabama. He commits suicide.
- August 1, 2008: US Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is shot in the head, but survives, while six others are shot dead during a campaign event in Tucson, Arizona. Five are wounded.
- February 14, 2008: Seven people, including the gunman who shot himself dead, are killed and 20 wounded when a former sociology student goes on a shooting rampage at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois.
- April 16, 2007: In Blacksburg, Virginia, a 23-year-old student from South Korea goes on a rampage, at Virginia Tech University, shooting dead 32 students and teachers. When police arrived on campus, he kills himself.
- March 21, 2005: On an Indian reservation in Minnesota state, a 16-year-old shoots dead his grandfather and the grandfather's girlfriend. He then shoots dead five students, a security guard and a teacher at Red Lake High School before killing himself during a shootout with police.
- April 20, 1999: Two students armed with assault rifles and incendiary devices shoot dead 12 other students and a teacher at Columbine High School in Colorado. The two then shoot themselves.
Hispanic #1 Breaking News for Entrepreneurs, Professionals and Small Business Owners - HispanicBusiness.com
SEPTEMBER 2, 2014
|Customer Service||Policy||Advertise||Site Tools|
|HispanicBusiness Services||Editorial Guidelines||Ad Specifications||Magazine Archive|
|List Rental Agreement||About Us||Media Kits||Post Your Event|
|HireDiversity Job Search||Editorial Calendar||Research|
© 2014 HispanicBusiness Inc. All Rights Reserved.