U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice
has withdrawn from consideration to become secretary of state,
NBC News reported Thursday.
Rice was long considered a top contender for the job, but her hopes of succeeding Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had dimmed amid criticism from Republican lawmakers over her early, faulty explanation of the deadly Benghazi attack in September.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile