U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice
has withdrawn from consideration to become secretary of state,
NBC News reported Thursday.
Rice was long considered a top contender for the job, but her hopes of succeeding Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had dimmed amid criticism from Republican lawmakers over her early, faulty explanation of the deadly Benghazi attack in September.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama