U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice
has withdrawn from consideration to become secretary of state,
NBC News reported Thursday.
Rice was long considered a top contender for the job, but her hopes of succeeding Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had dimmed amid criticism from Republican lawmakers over her early, faulty explanation of the deadly Benghazi attack in September.
Most Popular Stories
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- U.S. Growth Stayed Steady During Shutdown, Fed Says
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Newtown Massacre Heard on 911 Recordings
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Latin Music Conference Turns 25
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Guardian Pressured to Stop NSA Stories: Editor
- New Home Sales Shoot up 25 Percent in October
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill