Order has been restored at the Hugo Black Justice Center in downtown Birmingham, Ala., after a staff member there committed suicide.
Authorities have identified the person as David Lee Williams, age 50. Williams was the director of building services.
Williams apparently went into the office of Clerk of Court Sharon Harris on Thursday morning, pulled out a gun and shot himself. Federal autorities are not releasing any more information about the incident as of yet. They are also not commenting on how Williams might have gotten past courthouse security in possession of a gun, except to say that court employees do not always have to go through the same security procedures as the general public.
A spokesman says the FBI originally responded to the incident as well as Birmingham Police, whose homicide division will continue the investigation.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property