Order has been restored at the Hugo Black Justice Center in downtown Birmingham, Ala., after a staff member there committed suicide.
Authorities have identified the person as David Lee Williams, age 50. Williams was the director of building services.
Williams apparently went into the office of Clerk of Court Sharon Harris on Thursday morning, pulled out a gun and shot himself. Federal autorities are not releasing any more information about the incident as of yet. They are also not commenting on how Williams might have gotten past courthouse security in possession of a gun, except to say that court employees do not always have to go through the same security procedures as the general public.
A spokesman says the FBI originally responded to the incident as well as Birmingham Police, whose homicide division will continue the investigation.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women