InMobi, a mobile-first technology platforms and an independent mobile ad network, today released its latest InMobi Insights Report, U.S. edition.
InMobi's report reveals that Apple continues to lead the North American mobile ad impression market, with iOS taking 46 percent market share and increasing in size by 4.1 percent from the previous quarter. Android continues to track closely, with a higher growth rate than iOS at 5.4 percent, and currently commands 43.6 percent OS share, a difference of just 2.4 percent from iOS.
Both platforms continue to remain highly competitive, highlighting a clear opportunity for mobile advertising across both Android and iOS in North America.
The data, sourced from the InMobi mobile advertising network from September to November 2012, reveals that Apple devices take the top three positions in terms of total handset share of impressions, with the iPhone leading the market with 27.5 percent, ahead of the iPod (11.5 percent) and iPad (7.0 percent).
Mobile Device Handset Share of Impressions
Apple iPhone 27.5 percent
Apple iPod 11.5 percent
Apple iPad 7.0 percent
Amazon Kindle Fire 2.8 percent
Motorola Razr 2.2 percent
In terms of overall share of manufacturer impressions across smartphones and tablets, Apple significantly leads the market with 46 percent market share, followed by Samsung with 17 percent and HTC at 8 percent. From all of the leading manufacturers included within the report--Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, RIM and Amazon--only BlackBerry manufacturer RIM experienced a decline in its share of impressions over the last quarter, going against the positive growth trend.
Both the smartphone and tablet device market experienced a positive growth last quarter.
Crid Yu, vice president and managing director, North America, InMobi, comments: "Mobile advertising continues to show a positive trend in North America, tablet and connected devices are growing significantly, but smartphones are currently experiencing higher growth."
Yu continues, "Over two-thirds of ad impressions on the InMobi network last quarter were from mobile apps, which is fantastic news for developers. This shift in mobile app advertising is also great for marketers as it allows them to create a more immersive and compelling experience for the user, which ultimately benefits the success of their campaign."
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'