North Korea's rocket launch Wednesday was "highly provocative" and "irresponsible," the United States said as it called for the international community to dish out "consequences."
The launch used ballistic missile technology, violated UN Security Council resolutions and undermined global non-proliferation efforts, said Tommy Vietor, spokesman for the National Security Council.
"North Korea's launch ... is a highly provocative act that threatens regional security," Vietor said.
"This action is yet another example of North Korea's pattern of irresponsible behaviour," the spokesman said. "The United States remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and fully committed to the security of our allies in the region."
North Korea said its launch was peaceful and designed to place a satellite into orbit, but the US charged that it was using the launch to develop ballistic missile technology.
The US would increase its coordination with allies "given this current threat to regional security" and would work at the United Nations "to pursue appropriate action," Vietor said.
"The international community must work in a concerted fashion to send North Korea a clear message that its violations of United Nations Security Council resolutions have consequences," he said.
The US has been an archfoe of North Korea since the two countries were on opposite sides in the 1950-53 Korean War.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas