FACT: Uncle Sam could be considered a real estate baron. The federal government owns and leases more than 3 billion square feet of building space and 900,000 structures.
Not every property, however, is a model of efficiency. A federal review in 2009, for example, found more than 45,000 underutilized buildings - including completely vacant properties - that cost the government $1.66 billion to operate that year.
The Obama administration is moving to sell off some of the surplus, predicting sales could bring in $15 billion over three years.
You can see what's currently up for auction at the General Services Administration website: http://realestatesales.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney