EDINBURG, Texas, Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Telcel AMERICA, a service provided by TracFone Wireless, Inc., America's largest no-contract cell provider and leader in the communications industry, has partnered with The University of Texas-Pan American (UTPA) to launch a grassroots initiative to provide the latest smartphones to Latino students, it was announced at a press conference at the university today.
Through a proprietary program called "Movilizacion Escolar con Telcel AMERICA," (Mobilizing Scholars with Telcel AMERICA), the company will provide 75 Samsung Galaxy Precedent(TM) smartphones at no charge to Hispanic students at UTPA, with three months of complimentary airtime which includes unlimited domestic and international calling as well as text and Internet access. With Telcel AMERICA's service the students will also be able to call mobile phones and landlines in Mexico.
UTPA President Dr. Robert S. Nelsen and UTPA VP for University Advancement Veronica Gonzales, together with representatives of the "Movilizacion Escolar" program hosted a special launch ceremony at the school's ITT Building to kick off the program and announce the first recipients of the smartphones. Rafael Mercadante, the noted Mexican actor, TV host, and recording artist, was also on hand at the ceremony to perform and show his support of educational empowerment in the Latino community.
"We are grateful for the generosity of Telcel," said UTPA President Robert S. Nelsen. "These phones provide a way for our students, who otherwise would not have a way of contacting their loved ones, to stay connected with their families and ease the associated costs of attending college."
About Telcel AMERICATelcel AMERICA (http://www.telcelamerica.com/) is a new prepaid wireless service in the U.S. offering the latest Android and other phones, with plans providing unlimited domestic and international calling in the U.S. and to Mexico, landlines and cell phones, as well as SMS and data. Telcel AMERICA's service is provided by TracFone Wireless, Inc., the leading "no-contract" cellular service provider in the U.S. with over 21 million subscribers.
Joseph RamirezMARCA Miami(786) email@example.com Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20121207/CL25652LOGOPRN Photo Desk, firstname.lastname@example.orgTelcel AMERICA
Web site: http://www.telcelamerica.com/
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column