Tom Cruise's 1986 blockbuster "Top Gun" is to be released in 3-D in select North American IMAX theaters this winter, Paramount Pictures said Tuesday.
Directed by Tony Scott and co-starring Kelly McGillis, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards and Meg Ryan, the film about an elite group of U.S. Navy pilots will have an exclusive six-day engagement beginning Feb. 8.
The movie will be released in Blu-ray 3-D and Blu-ray 2-D two-disc sets Feb. 19 by Paramount Home Media Distribution.
"'Top Gun' was re-mastered from high resolution original negative scans and painstakingly converted to 3-D by Legend3D under the supervision of the film's director, Tony Scott," a news release said. "The artists at Legend3D began by studying every shot in the film and mapping out each element on screen in order to create a realistic sense of depth. ... From the spectacular aerial dogfights to the intense close-ups in the cockpits, each frame gives the audience the feeling of being part of the story."
The film's soundtrack includes the hit songs "Take My Breath Away" and "Danger Zone."
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'