Simon Cowell, creator of Fox's The X Factor, has teamed with Sony on a line of high-end Sony X $299 headphones, which were unveiled at a party here Thursday night. We took the opportunity to catch up with Cowell and talk tech.
"Sony said they wanted to develop a range of headphones that could be better than everyone else's, and did I want to get involved? Over a few months, they brought in some test headphones, and they were sensational. I got involved with the design of the X and it's been amazing. I have really sensitive ears. You want something that's comfortable, nothing too harsh, and they just work."
The Tech of 'The X Factor'
Texting turned 20 years old this year -- a practice popularized by Cowell's previous show, American Idol. "Texting is paramount. When I first started Idol, there was no Twitter, no Facebook, and those two changed everything. We used to worry about what the critics say. Now, we go on the Twitter page to see what's really going on out there. You can change a show on a dime because of that. It's harsh, but a much better world to make shows in."
Viewers love to tweet while watching The X Factor. His take? "I love it. It means they're interested and want to be a part of it. Going forward, you'll see much more integration with that kind of thing in the show."
Cowell has 5.2 million followers, and likes to "just say whatever's on my mind. I have a couple of drinks, it all comes out. I can wake up in the morning and say, 'Oh, my God, what did I say last night?' But that's the fun of it."
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Short-Term Loans Comes at a Heavy Price
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures