Filipinos reacted with shock on Sunday to another defeat of their boxing hero Manny Pacquiao, who was knocked out by Mexican Juan Manuel Marcos in Las Vegas.
Pacquiao was floored by Marquez in the sixth round. It was the second loss for Pacquiao, who is also a congressman, in a row, after to losing to American fighter, Timothy Bradley, in a welterweight championship fight in June.
Dionisia Pacquaiao, mother of the boxer said in a television interview that she has accepted her son's lost and expressed her wish for Pacquaio to stop boxing and concentrate in politics and serving the people.
The Philippines come to a virtual standstill every time Pacquiao climbs into the ring.
"Pacquiao was giving a good fight. He was better here than in his last fights but Marquez was really much better," Tim Ramos, a government employee said after watching the fight.
Most Popular Stories
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Senate Reaches Unemployment Benefits Deal
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna