CIA Director David Petraeus resigned Friday, citing an extramarital affair, NBC News reported.
The retired U.S. Army general has served as CIA director since June 2011.
Prior to that, he was the top commander on the ground in Iraq, and the top commander in Afghanistan following the retirement of Gen. Stanley McChrystal.
Petraeus turned over the Afghan command to Gen. John Allen in July 2011.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)