The half-Hispanic nephew of former president George W. Bush has taken a first step towards running for political office in Texas, US media reported.
George P. Bush filed a document with the Texas Ethics Commission showing he has designated a campaign treasurer -- a step necessary before any bid for statewide office, The New Republic reported Thursday.
The young Republican did not specify which post he is setting his sights on, but the move signals the arrival of the next generation of the powerful Bush political dynasty.
Besides his ties to both former presidents Bush, he is the son of Jeb Bush, the former governor of Florida, who has been suggested as a possible candidate for president in 2016.
Thanks to the changing demographics of the US electorate, George P. is likely to be an attractive candidate to party higher ups: the 36-year-old is half Hispanic -- his mother was born in Mexico -- and he speaks Spanish fluently.
After Republican White House candidate Mitt Romney's disastrous showing among Hispanics in the presidential vote -- only 27 percent voted for him -- the party is actively looking for candidates capable of courting this growing sector of the population.
Tall and boasting a suave smile, the Navy reserve officer and investor is already active on the political scene.
During the Republican convention in Tampa, Florida, in August, Bush attended a conference on the "next generation," alongside Chelsea Clinton, daughter of former president Bill Clinton, and Josh Romney, son of candidate Romney.
Most Popular Stories
- George Zimmerman Arrest Viewed Differently According to Race
- Putin, Obama Make Little Progress over Syria
- Jurors will Remain Anonymous in Zimmerman Case, Judge Orders
- Arrests, 7-Elevens Seized in Illegal Immigrant Scheme
- NHL's Phoenix Coyotes Could Be on Move to Seattle
- Ex-Mobster to Bulger: Just Say Sorry
- Michale Applebaum, Mayor of Montreal, Arrested
- Pope Talks Crime, Drugs, Poverty With Maduro
- Assange Still Holed up at Ecuadorean Embassy
- Kanye West's 'Yeezus' Is Wildly Experimental, Narcissistic