Barack Obama's re-election posts on social media broke records Wednesday on both Twitter and Facebook.
The victorious president posted a picture to his Facebook and Twitter accounts, and within hours they had ousted social media stars such as Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga from their top spots.
Accompanied by the phrase "four more years," the picture, which showed Obama in a hug with First Lady Michelle Obama, had been retweeted 745,000 times by Wednesday afternoon. The same photo on Facebook had accumulated more than 3.7 million likes.
The record came after Obama's social media operation racked up a major advantage over Romney's campaign with more than 50 million Facebook and Twitter fans compared to just 10 million for Romney. Many analysts identified that as a key advantage in the race for the White House, especially among young voters who are relatively heavy users of sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column