Lady Gaga says she is donating $1 million to the American Red Cross to help victims of Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey.
"If it wasn't for NYC: the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would not be the woman or artist that I am today," the singer said in a message on her website Wednesday.
"New York is relentless ambition, a drive to succeed, a place where there is a natural pursuit of diversity through compassion," the message said. "Please accept this gift on behalf of myself, my parents Joe and Cynthia, and my sister Natali; with our deepest gratitude New York for raising us. Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours."
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Spending Will Offset Sequester: Economists
- Hispanic Grads Pass Their Peers in College Enrollment
- AT&T Seeks to Fill 120 Jobs in South Carolina
- Gas Prices Expected to Stay High
- California Considers Oil Tax to Fund Schools
- Dude! California Beach Parking Plan Making Waves
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Program Turns 35
- Yahoo to Pay $1.1 Billion for Tumblr
- NTSB Wants to Lower Blood Alcohol Limit to 0.05
- Boise Terror Suspect Pleads Not Guilty