South Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (SFHCC) honored Mrs. Maria Cristina Regueiro, Florida National University's president, with the Education Leader of the Year Award. Chamber President Liliam M. Lopez and chairman Santiago Quintana Jr. presented the award to Regueiro at the SFLHCC's 18th annual Sunshine Awards on Nov. 2.
"Maria Cristina is a vital presence in the community and has become an influential figure in education," said Lopez. "This award recognized Mrs. Regueiro's exceptional commitment to higher education and contributions to the community. Thirty years ago, she and her late husband, Dr. Jose Regueiro, founded a higher education institution with the dream of providing educational opportunities to the Hispanic population. Exemplary educators, the Regueiro's have been instrumental in helping minority students achieve their educational goals. FNU has been offering quality education for three decades. Mrs. Reguerio accepted the award and proudly stated, "We are the first university born and raised in the City of Hialeah. We are very honored to be serving our Latino community. Thank you for having us here today and for this award."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women