Elly Luchsinger has never been to the East Coast.
She doesn't know anybody affected by Hurricane Sandy, a so-called superstorm that left millions without electricity, homes and other necessities after making landfall Oct. 29.
Still, the outspoken 8-year-old wanted to help.
Elly, a second-grader at Shell Creek Elementary School, learned of the devastation from television news reports, a plea for contributions on ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" and her teacher, April Seiler.
"It kind of just came to me then," said Elly, the daughter of Becky and Todd Luchsinger.
The plan was to collect clothes, blankets, food and other items for the American Red Cross' recovery effort, but the organization is only accepting monetary donations.
The next best thing, Elly thought -- enlist her 21 classmates and hold a bake sale with proceeds going to the hurricane victims through the Red Cross.
Seiler said the project was met with enthusiastic support from the other students and their parents, who will contribute baked goods and assist with the sale.
Fifty-cent treats will be sold at the school 7:45-8:45 a.m. and 2:30-3:30 p.m. Dec. 7.
Seiler, who organized the event, expects the buyers to mainly be students and staff members, but "any little bit of money that we donate will help," she said.
"Hopefully it will be a good turnout," said Seiler.
Elly's focus is on getting enough baked goods to go around.
"I'm hoping we get at least 10 bucks," she said. "More than that, I'd love it."
This goal was soon upped to $20 after some mental math.
Regardless of the amount raised, Elly knows it will help people purchase new clothes, blankets or pillows -- "whatever they need" -- even if "they" are complete strangers.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO