U.S. Vice President Joe Biden made a visit Thursday to the first Costco store in the District of Columbia on the day of its grand opening. The White House said Biden was greeted by Costco Chief Executive Officer Craig Jelinek and co-founder Jim Sinegal when he arrived at the store, and he stopped to chat and pose for photos with customers.
He drew some applause when he flashed a Costco memberships card but then confessed the card belonged to his wife, Jill Biden.
"In all honesty, I didn't have my own card, Jill wouldn't let me have one," he said. "I went to get my wife's card, and she said, 'No, No, get your own card.'"
Biden's cart was filled with items including children's books for donation to his wife's charity, fire logs, a 32-inch TV and an apple pie.
"Now you know why my wife doesn't let me shop alone," Biden joked while gesturing to his cart.
Biden spoke during his shopping trip about his desire for Congress to extend middle class income tax rate cuts enacted during the administration of former President George W. Bush.
"I think it's important Congress acts now, I mean right now," he said. "All it has to do is take a single vote to extend the middle class tax cut."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women