World and European champions Spain will avoid hosts Brazil in the draw for the Confederations Cup on Saturday, FIFA general secretary Jerome Valck confirmed Wednesday in Sao Paulo.
Hosts Brazil and Spain will both be seeded for the eight-nation tournament in June, with Brazil heading group A and Spain group B, Valcke said.
The draw will separate teams from the same continent, meaning Italy will be drawn into group A with Brazil, while South American champions Uruguay will go into group B.
The remaining teams are Mexico, Japan, Tahiti and the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winners.
The tournament is being played in six Brazilian cities - Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Fortaleza, Belo Horizonte, Salvador and Recife - from June 15-30.
Title holders Brazil will open the tournament on June 15 in Brasilia. Spain will play a day later in Recife.
The final will be played in Maracana stadium - currently under construction - in Rio de Janeiro.
Former Brazil great Ronaldo, a member of the local organizing committee management board for the 2014 World Cup, said more than 120,000 tickets had already been sold for the tournament.
"It is an important event with great teams, and we are already thrilled by this," he said.
His former national team-mate, Bebeto, a fellow member of the 2014 World Cup organizing team, said the Confederations Cup would be Brazil's "calling card" for the World Cup.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes