A 63-year-old Guatemalan man may have to pay $146,000 for joking about having explosives in his bag at Miami International Airport, officials said.
Alejandro Leon Hurtado appeared in court Wednesday for a bond hearing, The Miami Herald reported. He is accused of jokingly telling a TACA airline attendant that he was carrying explosives in his bag.
The state is asking for $146,000 in restitution for delays the incident caused in Concourse J at Miami International Airport.
Judge Lisa Walsh set Hurtado's bond at $7,500, but the defendant will remain in custody due to an immigration hold placed by federal officials.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006