A 63-year-old Guatemalan man may have to pay $146,000 for joking about having explosives in his bag at Miami International Airport, officials said.
Alejandro Leon Hurtado appeared in court Wednesday for a bond hearing, The Miami Herald reported. He is accused of jokingly telling a TACA airline attendant that he was carrying explosives in his bag.
The state is asking for $146,000 in restitution for delays the incident caused in Concourse J at Miami International Airport.
Judge Lisa Walsh set Hurtado's bond at $7,500, but the defendant will remain in custody due to an immigration hold placed by federal officials.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Small Firms Take Out the Trash in Jersey
- Citigroup Unit Paying $5 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast
- Obama Seeks Help From Central American Leaders
- 'Big Bang' Writers Hit Comic-Con
- CalPERS Still Profiting From Tainted Investments