Travel giant Thomas Cook suffered an annual pre-tax loss of 485 million pounds (776 million dollars) as it counted the costs of restructuring in a "difficult trading environment," the company said in a statement Wednesday.
The British group said the losses for the year up to the end of September were up from last year's corresponding figure of 398 million pounds. Revenues fell to 9.5 billion pounds from 9.8 billion pounds.
However, the company said the annual figures "masked" a major improvement in business between July and September.
"These results reflect the major issues that Thomas Cook faced last year, but they mask the material improvement that we made in the fourth quarter," said chief executive Harriet Green.
She said the company had reduced its debts by more than 100 million pounds over the reporting period, to 788 million pounds.
Earlier this year, the group negotiated a refinancing package with banks of 1.4 billion pounds to give it more scope to repay its debts.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column