The Pueblo Police Department has joined the rapidly growing world of social media -- including Twitter and Facebook -- in an effort to better provide information to the public.
The department also has appointed Sgt. Eric Gonzales as public information officer. "It's been a long time coming. We have needed a public information officer for a while now. We are one of the few cities of the larger cities that didn't have one," Gonzales said at a press conference at the Pueblo Municipal Justice Center Tuesday.
The new venture is all part of the department's Community Services Division.
Gonzales, who has been in law enforcement for 19 years, said the new direction is a good fit for the department.
"We all know that everybody is always on their phones with Facebook, Twitter and all these news sites and applications. Our goal is to get information out for public safety as soon as possible, as quickly as possible and as accurate as possible," Gonzales said.
The department opened Twitter and Facebook accounts last week and already has posted information on the two applications.
The police department will continue to distribute information on the city's website which automatically will post on Facebook as well. "This site benefits us in getting information out all at one point, Gonzales said. He said his new job will give officers a chance to do their jobs effectively while he provides information.
"We are just excited to be in the social network realm. We are looking forward to great things coming out of this," Gonzales said.
The department's Twitter handle is @PuebloPolice1.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site