Adele's critically acclaimed sophomore album 21 has reached yet another momentous milestone this week, surpassing 10 million albums sold in the U.S. This sales achievement earns Adele, and 21, Diamond Certification by the RIAA. Adele is the only British or European female artist in history to earn this certification. Adele is also the only British or European artist ever to earn Diamond Certification in less than 2 years from release. 21 also has the distinction of being the only single disc released over the last decade to reach Diamond Certification in less than 2 years (a feat which hasn't happened since 2000). "What an incredible honour," Adele exclaimed, "a huge, huge thank you to my American fans for embracing this record on such a massive level."
21 has achieved global success with 25 million albums sold worldwide. In her native UK, 21 has sold an incredible 4.5 million copies. Adele's latest single "Skyfall" is the official theme song to the 007 feature film Skyfall. Released last month on the 50th anniversary of the legendary film franchise, "Skyfall" has sold over 2 million copies worldwide, and the film has gone on to generate the biggest opening ever for a 007 movie. This week Adele Live At Royal Albert Hall DVD surpasses 1 million copies sold in the U.S., with nearly 3 million copies sold worldwide. The last time a music DVD sold 1 million copies in a single year was 2005.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Ford Bumps Price of New F-150
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire