Adele's critically acclaimed sophomore album 21 has reached yet another momentous milestone this week, surpassing 10 million albums sold in the U.S. This sales achievement earns Adele, and 21, Diamond Certification by the RIAA. Adele is the only British or European female artist in history to earn this certification. Adele is also the only British or European artist ever to earn Diamond Certification in less than 2 years from release. 21 also has the distinction of being the only single disc released over the last decade to reach Diamond Certification in less than 2 years (a feat which hasn't happened since 2000). "What an incredible honour," Adele exclaimed, "a huge, huge thank you to my American fans for embracing this record on such a massive level."
21 has achieved global success with 25 million albums sold worldwide. In her native UK, 21 has sold an incredible 4.5 million copies. Adele's latest single "Skyfall" is the official theme song to the 007 feature film Skyfall. Released last month on the 50th anniversary of the legendary film franchise, "Skyfall" has sold over 2 million copies worldwide, and the film has gone on to generate the biggest opening ever for a 007 movie. This week Adele Live At Royal Albert Hall DVD surpasses 1 million copies sold in the U.S., with nearly 3 million copies sold worldwide. The last time a music DVD sold 1 million copies in a single year was 2005.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women