The long-lived "Gangnam Style" has passed the Justin Bieber hit "Baby" as most-viewed YouTube music videos, YouTube's U.S. trends blog said.
YouTube reported South Korean pop star Psy and his dance hit reached 805 million views this weekend while Biebers' blockbuster totaled 803 million.
The blog noted that while "Baby" has held up very well since it was posted in 2010, "Gangnam Style" has been red hot since coming out in late July.
"It has been a massive hit at a global level unlike anything we've ever seen before," YouTube said. "Each day, 'Gangnam Style' is still being watched between 7 and 10 million times."
The viewing statistics based on YouTube searches showed "Gangnam Style" broke from the gate quickly with a surge from Psy's hometown South Korean fans. It quickly caught on in the United States and other English-speaking nations and gained momentum in India and Europe this fall.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11