The long-lived "Gangnam Style" has passed the Justin Bieber hit "Baby" as most-viewed YouTube music videos, YouTube's U.S. trends blog said.
YouTube reported South Korean pop star Psy and his dance hit reached 805 million views this weekend while Biebers' blockbuster totaled 803 million.
The blog noted that while "Baby" has held up very well since it was posted in 2010, "Gangnam Style" has been red hot since coming out in late July.
"It has been a massive hit at a global level unlike anything we've ever seen before," YouTube said. "Each day, 'Gangnam Style' is still being watched between 7 and 10 million times."
The viewing statistics based on YouTube searches showed "Gangnam Style" broke from the gate quickly with a surge from Psy's hometown South Korean fans. It quickly caught on in the United States and other English-speaking nations and gained momentum in India and Europe this fall.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women